FINDING THE WRITE WORDS TO HAPPY-EVER-AFTERS

Heartwarming Contemporary Romances

MY BLOG

MY BLOG

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Garden Spells

Book: Garden Spells
Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Publisher: Bantam
Date: August 2007

Synopsis: Everyone in Bascom, North Carolina, knows that the Waverly women are different. They each have unusual talents that make them special. Even their house, with its mysterious garden, is a little strange. But behind the local legends are two very real sisters making a life for themselves even as they find romance in the least likely places. A wonderful debut novel about the down-to-earth magic that comes from gamily and love.

Review: I came upon this book by chance. Upon cleaning out a cabinet, I found a Reader's Digest book given to me by my father some time ago. I was about to toss it in the 'give away' pile until I scanned the synopsis of the stories in the book. Three were of no interest to me, but the last one peaked my interest. A story called 'Garden Spells' about two Waverley sisters and how they reconnect, find love, and deal with their mysterious apple tree.

After reading Garden Spells, I was pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed it and was disappointed when it was over. Starting with a beautiful cover, the opening of the story immediately draws you in with its enchanting magical twist. It's told very well in several characters' point of views, even Sydney's small daughter. Its plotline flowed seamlessly following the sisters, Claire and Sydney Waverley as they reunite and recapture their family unit.

I enjoyed this story so much that I ordered Sarah’s second novel, The Sugar Queen. I and highly recommend getting your hands on a copy of Garden Spells. Sit back in your own garden and let this story take you away.

Review Rating: 5/5 Hands Up! Gold Star!

No comments:

Post a Comment