FINDING THE WRITE WORDS TO HAPPY-EVER-AFTERS

Heartwarming Contemporary Romances

MY BLOG

MY BLOG

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Why Moms are Weird

Book: Why Moms are Weird
Author: Pamela Ribon
Publisher: Downtown Press
Date: August 2006

Back Cover: Belinda “Benny” Bernstein doesn’t brag about her life in Los Angeles, but she is proud of her independence. She’s got a job and a place to live, and she even goes out in dates now and again. But when Benny’s mother and sister get into a car accident, she drops everything to fly across the country to help her injured, unemployed mom. The only problem? She wasn’t exactly invited, and back in Virginia she finds herself confronting every issue her family has avoided for years, including her mom’s thriving sex life and her sister’s wild nightlife.

Review: Can you say, dysfunctional? This family is right on top with it! The opening sentence of the book starts with, “To whom it may concern, I thought I should write this just in case I ever accidentally kill my mother on purpose.” Now if that doesn’t draw you into a story, nothing will. I took a chance with this book, as I wasn’t familiar with Pamela Ribon’s writing, but there was a mention of this book in another I had recently read. It sounded interesting, so I ordered it. Its first few sentences pulled me in and kept me there until the end. There were so many outrageous moments where I found myself smiling and a few times laughing out loud. Benny leaves LA to take care of her mother, but upon arrival at her mother's house, she sees a junkyard and a shelter for homeless animals. The inside of the house doesn’t get any better. The personalities and relationships between Benny, her mother and sister, are well crafted. As though Benny doesn’t have enough of her own issues to deal with, she has to come to terms with her mother’s sexual relationships as well as her sister’s going-no-where life. It was a bit different reading a story with the main character ‘talking’ to the reader, but its well worth the read. If you want humour, dysfunction, and a dash of romance all rolled into one, this is the book for you.

Review Rating: 4/5 Two Thumbs Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment