FINDING THE WRITE WORDS TO HAPPY-EVER-AFTERS

Heartwarming Contemporary Romances

MY BLOG

MY BLOG

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Unexpected Gifts


I hope you're enjoying Still Moments Publishing's Christmas Blog Hop!
For a chance to win more great books and prizes, be sure to pop over to The Author's Den for links to more participating SMP authors in this fun event!
http://stillmomentspub.blogspot.com/2012/11/christmas-blog-hop.html


Here's a little story I'd like to share with you...


Unexpected Gifts

Even though I dislike the winter season, the one thing I look forward to is Christmas. It’s my favourite holiday. There’s no other time of year when warmth and friendship spills from even the grumpiest of people. Everyone is filled with Christmas spirit.

Unlike many, who wait until the last moment to do their shopping - hoping to get those last minute sales, I’m not one for the crowded malls and the racks that have sold out of the size you’re looking for. By mid November, I start and hopefully by early December my shopping is done. I then decorate the house and enjoy the season…without any stress.

I’m definitely a gift-giver. There’s nothing more enjoyable than to watch the faces of my family (especially my daughter) as they open their gifts. When they receive that one special gift they weren’t expecting, their smile is priceless.

Speaking of unexpected gifts, I have received a few. I don’t ask for much, maybe a bath bar or a new pair of slippers. I’m not a woman who expects expensive items and flashy jewelry. So when my husband surprises me with something totally unexpected, I’m at a loss for words. A few years ago, a delivery truck arrived mere days before Christmas and as they brought in a refrigerator, I asked my husband, “What’s with the fridge?” We already had one and it worked, even though the freezer was too small, which I complained about every time I unpacked groceries. My husband’s response, “It’s your Christmas present from me.” I stared at him as though he had four heads. Who gives someone a fridge for Christmas? But I loved that gift and haven’t complained about having no room in the freezer since.

Just last year, after opening several gift boxes, which the starting medium sized box ended up having another five inside each other, I finally reached a smaller box…hoping this was the last one. As my husband and daughter laughed at the scattered boxes around me, I peeked inside that final box. Again, that same sense of disbelief ran through my head. A computer mouse? But not just any computer mouse, my husband and daughter informed me…it’s a wireless mouse. Being a writer and publisher, I spend long days in my office working on my laptop, complaining about having to use the mouse pad on my lap top, not to mention my wrists hurting after a full day of typing. Well, to my surprise and delight, the last gift I opened contained a wireless keyboard! The gifts you least expect, are usually the best ones.

What are some of you favourite unexpected gifts?

Leave a comment with your email address - use (at) and (dot) to avoid spammers.
 
 
All comments will be entered in a draw for a PDF copy of my
Christmas single short title,
Chocolate Kisses
 

10 comments:

  1. I love surprises at Christmas time. I had a similar situation where I'd opened many boxes til the last small one and found a ring box....but no ring, just a note. I read the note, cried and when I looked up my boyfriend was holding the ring and asked me to marry him, in front of my whole family !

    Thanks so much for participating in the SMP Christmas Blog Hop !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love surprises, but my family rarely manages to surprise me. They are usually so proud of themselves for thinking of something "different" to get me that at least one of them spoils the surprise! That's okay. I appreciate them for trying to get me something they know I will enjoy!
    I would love to win a copy of Chocolate Kisses. dmoncrief161(at)att(dot)net
    I know you know how to find me, but I'm trying to be a good example for all the other commenters and leave my email address. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gifts where the gifter has really been listening to what the person wants. I've done that a few times within my family. Now that I'm living geographically closer have a better chance at doing so again. Thanks for sharing this part of your life.
    l(dot)carrollbradd(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love surprises, but I'm usually the one doing the surprising. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband surprised me with an iphone last year. I was a little disappointed, since I'm technologically challenged, but now it's my favorite thing. I love it, but I never would have gotten it for myself or asked for it. We went through the same thing the year before with a Kindle. Surprise gifts really are the best! dpysa(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm usually not a fan of surprises, but I love surprises on Christmas morning! My husband is good at surprising me. I however, cannot keep a secret :) design (at) kerineal (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that your family was so creative with the mouse! Too cute. I've already read (and loved!) your short story but I just wanted to comment to say that I enjoyed this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm usually terrible at writing blog posts, so I'm pleased to see this topic was popular and FUN!
    Thank you, Krista, Denise, Linda, Jennifer, Dani-Lyn, Keri, and Kaley for stopping by.

    There's still a few days left to qualify for the draw. Check back on Monday to see who won Chocolate Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love surprises too, but most often I told my family what I want as presents, so that they buy them. they seldom come up with big surprises! What I want is books and music and I'm absolutely happy!
    tessa dot bamberg at kolumbus dot fi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love surprises at Christmas too. I don't usually ask for much but when someone gets me a gift that I never even realized I wanted or needed but loved, it's a great surprise!

    ReplyDelete