Finding The Write Words with Darlene Fredette

Finding The Write Words with Darlene Fredette
Welcome to my blog!

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Company at the Cottage - Susanne Matthews

Susanne, welcome to the Cottage! 
Please take a seat on one of the comfy chairs in the sitting room by the fire. What can I get you to drink? 
Coffee cream and sugar, please. 

Tell us a little about yourself.
I was born and raised in Cornwall, Ontario. I attended Carleton University in Ottawa where I met my husband. We’ll be married 45 years in September. We have 3 children and 5 grandchildren. I was a stay-at-home mom for 10 years during which I became a voracious reader. Once the children were all in school full time, I returned to school and earned my Bachelor of Education at Queens University in Kingston. I taught for 30 years. When I retired from teaching, I decided to pursue my dream and become an author.
Returning to school after ten years, that's quite an accomplishment!

Let’s talk about writing and books.
What does your writing space look like?
I have a small, crowded office at the back of my home, which I refer to as my writing cave. Along with my computer and printer, on my desk, you’ll always find a notebook and sharpened pencils where I keep diligent track on POV and character word count as well as chapter length. There are bookcases bulging with a variety of things including research material for potential books. Since I scrapbook in my spare time, I have a small shelf dedicated to various papers and other scrapbooking needs. I’ve got a plant under the window, a cactus since I’m notorious for forgetting to water it, and a docking station where my tablet, 2 kindles and cellphone plug in.
I recognize that bulging bookcase. I have one too.

What do you like to do after finishing a manuscript to reward yourself?
You’ll laugh, but I generally reward myself by decluttering my workspace, followed by some me time. I’ll get my hair done, go shopping, that sort of thing.
Your 'me' time sounds fun.

What can we expect from you next? Are you working on anything new?
I’m in the process of putting the final touches to Hello Again, a paranormal romance suspense. Once it’s sent off to the publisher, I’ll get to work on a YA suspense entitled Prove It! As well, I’m partway through a contemporary romantic comedy called Wedding Bell Blues. Come the fall, I’d like to start another Canadian historical romance, the sequel to The Price of Honor. Since I’ll be in Norway, Denmark, and Iceland this summer, I’ll be writing something based there, too. Finally, my second Christian romance suspense, Hidden Assets, will be released in November. 
You are one busy lady!

Now, let’s get personal!
What is one thing people might be surprised to know about you?
I used to be a roller coaster fanatic. I spent two days at Cedar Point, Ohio, about ten years ago. The park was considered to be the roller coaster capital of the world and I rode every one of the rides they had. Not sure I’d do it now, though.
Roller coasters scare the heck out of me. You are a brave woman.

What is one obsession you possess?
I don’t really think I’m obsessed about anything but my writing. I will spend hours reworking a single paragraph until I’m convinced it’s perfect. My biggest problem is knowing when to stop reworking a piece and let it go.
Not a bad obsession to have for a writer.

What are your hobbies away from the computer?
I read and scrapbook. I enjoy travelling with my husband and camping in Northern New York State, which we do, in a tent, for a period of 2 weeks each summer. 
I love to scrapbook too. We should get together for a monthly scrapbook night.

Are you an animal person? If so, what do you have?
I’m not really much of animal person. I used to have a cat, but dogs, even small ones, make me uncomfortable. We had a guinea pig once when the children were young, but after having to clean the cage one too many times, we gave her to another family.

Favourite Colour: green 
Favourite Season: summer 
Favourite Movie: The Notebook 
Favourite Actor: Harrison Ford 
Favourite Song: You Raise Me Up 
Favourite Pleasure Food: potato chips and dill pickle dip 
Favourite Place to Read: the couch or a lounger outside 
Favourite article of clothing: a caftan which I prefer to work in –roomy and comfortable. 
Favourite candy your sweet-tooth craves: black jujubes. 
I love The Notebook too! But I'd have to say 'no' to the dill pickle dip.

Describe yourself in three words.
Dedicated, determined, devoted. 
Great choice of words!

Thank you, Susanne, for visiting! It’s been great getting to know you. Please stop by the cottage again soon! Where can we keep in touch with you?
My website: http://www.mhsusannematthews.ca/

Here's a peek at one of Susanne's books!
Secrets and Lies
     DEA agent Emily Shepherd is after the Chef, a crystal meth cook, who sets up labs for the Mexican cartel and walks away—the same man responsible for the deaths of her husband and unborn child. Her search leads her to Braden, Iowa, a small town just right for the Chef's specialty. But identifying her quarry won't be easy when she's up against a woman who sees her as a threat, a male chauvinistic deputy sheriff and an attractive school principal who might just be at the center of it all.
     Jackson Harris has sworn off women. Life is satisfactory if lonely, until he meets a hazel-eyed damsel in distress who gets under his skin, and triggers that protective instinct of his. There's a killer in town, one who may or may not be a notorious drug lord. Finding him, and keeping his town, his students, and Emily safe, may be harder than he thinks. 

Love is breaking out in Braden, Iowa. Follow all the romance with this collection of stories. Secrets and Lies is part of the Hearts of Braden Series, a multi-author series Secrets and Lies stands alone for your reading enjoyment, but the story doesn't need to end there. 
http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Lies-Hearts-Braden-Book-ebook/dp/B0184FUC5U 

Susanne is giving away an eBook copy of Secrets and Lies!  Just leave a comment to be entered in the draw!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by the cottage, Susanne. It was great chatting with you and getting to know you better. We'll have to set a scrapbook date :)

      Delete
  2. Great interview and I love the title of your book ... Secrets and Lies sounds so intriguing! I can so identify with your obsession too! Best of luck to you.
    Casi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susanne: INteresting interview. Good luck with all your wonderful projects, and hope your trip this summer is all you hope it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. I love the roller coasters at Cedar Point :-)
    Book sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Casi, your name was drawn to receive an eBook copy of Susanne's book Secrets and Lies! Susanne will contact you soon.

    ReplyDelete