FINDING THE WRITE WORDS TO HAPPY-EVER-AFTERS

Heartwarming Contemporary Romances

MY BLOG

MY BLOG

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

At the Cottage with Kate James

Welcome to the cottage, Kate!

It's a lovely day outside, so please take a seat on one of the comfy chairs on the front deck, overlooking the lake. 

Tell us a little about yourself. 
Kate spent much of her childhood abroad before attending university in Canada. She built a successful business career, but her passion has always been literature. As a result, Kate turned her energy to her love of the written word. Kate's goal is to entertain her readers with engaging stories featuring strong, likable characters. Kate has been honored with numerous awards for her writing. She and her husband, Ken, enjoy traveling and the outdoors with their beloved Labrador Retrievers.

Let’s talk about writing and books. 

What does your writing space look like? 
I can (and do) write just about anywhere. Since I’m visiting your cottage today, I have to say that although we sold or cottage in Lake of Bays in Ontario last year, I used to love writing there the most. In fact, most of my debut novel, Silver Linings, was written there. We had a guest suite on the main floor overlooking the lake. It was one of my favorite places to write. 
Another favorite spot—weather permitting—is our gazebo in the backyard of our house. That’s me in the picture with my “critique team,” black Labs Harley and Logan!  Finally, when the snow is falling outside (and as you know, we can get too much of the white stuff in Canada!), I like to write in my office at home. I love to curl up in a comfortable recliner facing the fireplace with my laptop actually on my lap. As you can see in this picture, my trusted critique team is again close by, even if they’re less engaged!

If your book was made into a movie, who is your dream cast? 
Oh, I’d rewrite an entire story to make it work for Hugh Jackman to star in it! For each of our books for Harlequin, we have to prepare an Art Fact Sheet. Part of it’s purpose is to help the art department develop the cover. In addition to providing physical descriptions of our characters, it’s helpful if we suggest celebrity lookalikes. For When the Right One Comes Along, the first book in my K-9 trilogy, I thought of Cate Blanchet for trauma surgeon Jessica Hansen. For When I Found You, the third book in the trilogy—releasing July 1st—I think of Ariana Atkins, chief of security at San Diego international airport, as resembling Megan Fox. I hadn’t previously considered a celebrity lookalike for Madison Long, the SDPD K-9 unit’s veterinarian in When Love Matters Most, the second book in the trilogy, but Jessica Chastain would be perfect for the part.

What can we expect from you next? Are you working on anything new?
Presently, I’m working on the first book of a new contract I just signed with Harlequin. I don’t have a working title yet, but the story addresses a couple of hefty subjects: political corruption and psychological abuse. Psychological abuse is interesting in that if persistent it can be so insidious that even the most powerful, capable, self-confident women can be victim to it. Needles to say, there is romance and a happy-ever-after! For those of my readers who are enjoying my K-9 trilogy, there’s good news. Included in my new contract is a fourth book in the K-9 “trilogy.” I suppose we’ll have to start calling it the K-9 series from now on! This book will be the story of rookie K-9 unit officer, Shannon Clemens (who readers will get to know a little in When I Found You), and her search and rescue dog, Darwin. Shannon will meet the story’s hero when she’s dispatched to find a little boy who disappeared from his single father’s family’s campsite in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park near San Diego.


Now, let’s get personal! 

What is one goal you’ve yet to reach? 
I’ve been involved in the healthcare system on and off throughout my business career, both as a member of a board of directors and in a leadership capacity. The healthcare system in Canada is unsustainable because of the realities of demographics and the method of operation/funding. In Ontario, in particular, there is tremendous opportunity (and need) to improve system efficiency and effectinenes, and patient centricity. I would love to be involved in making this happen.

What is one obsession you possess? 
To do whatever I am doing to the best of my abilities. Okay, animals, too!

What are your hobbies away from the computer? 
I love being active outdoors, travel and painting (although I don’t get to do as much of the latter now as I would like).

Are you an animal person? If so, what do you have? 
I’m most definitely an animal person. My husband and I share our lives with two black Labrador Retrievers, Harley and Logan. They adopted us a couple of years ago when we were still grieving from having had to say goodbye to our previous three dogs. We are happy to have been able to give Harley and Logan their forever home, and they give so much back to us.

Your Favourites!

Favourite Colour: blue
Favourite Season: fall (if only it wasn’t followed by winter!)
Favourite Movie: Against All Odds
Favourite Actor: Hugh Jackman
Favourite Song: right now it’s “Crash and Burn” by Thomas Rhett
Favourite Pleasure Food: anything with chocolate in it
Favourite Place to Read: beach
Favourite article of clothing: flowing dresses (think tropical-destination wear)
Favourite candy your sweet-tooth craves: Cadbury Mini Eggs (yes, there’s chocolate in them!)

Describe yourself in three words.
Principled, loyal, ambitious

Thank you for visiting, Kate! It’s been great getting to know you. Please stop by the cottage again soon! 
Thank you for inviting me! It’s been fun, and I look forward to visiting again.

Where can we keep in touch with you? 
I love to hear from readers! You can connect with me by e-mail (readers@kate-james.com), through my website (www.kate-james.com), my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/katejamesbooks), or Twitter (@katejamesbooks).

Here's a peek at Kate's book, 
When I Found You (Book 3 in the K-9 Trilogy)
Is she part of the solution…or the problem?

It could be a terrorist threat. Or is it some other sinister plot? An unprecedented rash of security breaches at San Diego's international airport is putting passengers at risk and bringing the competence of the airport's chief of security, Ariana Atkins, into question. With explosives the weapon of choice, police K-9 unit captain Logan O'Connor and his bomb detection dog, Boomer, might be Ariana's best, if not only, line of defense. Logan is certain his belief in Ariana, and his growing love for her, aren't misplaced…but it wouldn't be the first time he's misjudged someone's intentions. 

Harlequin: http://www.harlequin.com/storeitem.html?cid=&iid=65633
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/When-Found-You-K-9-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B01C2PYATC/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/when-i-found-you-kate-james/1123456502?ean=9781488009143
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/book/when-i-found-you/id1086550095?mt=11

GIVEAWAY!
Kate is offering a signed copy of 'When the Right One Comes Along' to a person chosen at random from those leaving a comment below!
Giveaway draw date: July 5, 2016

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kate: enjoyed your interview, the gazebo is enchanting. Thank you for your involvement in animal rescues (a big part of my life too)and for hopes of reforming the health care system in your country. Your stories sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Gini,

      I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. Yes, I am passionate about both animals and healthcare.

      Thank you for your comment about my stories. If you get a chance to read one, I would love to hear from you.

      Happy reading!

      Kate

      Delete
  2. Thank you for visiting today, Kate! I love your writing space AND Harley and Logan! I have enjoyed reading each story in your K-9 series and I'm really looking forward to Shannon's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting me at your cottage, Darlene! I had a lot of fun answering your interview questions.

      I'm working on Shannon and police service dog Darwin's story right now!

      Best wishes and thanks again!

      Kate

      Delete