Finding The Write Words with Darlene Fredette

Finding The Write Words with Darlene Fredette
Welcome to my blog!

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

At the Cottage with Hywela Lyn

Welcome to the cottage, Hywela! 

Please take a seat on one of the comfy chairs in the sitting room by the fire. What can I get you to drink? 
Oh, a glass of pineapple juice would be lovely if you have it, thank you.

Tell us a little about yourself.
I live a small village in England, with my long suffering husband Dave, although my heart remains in my native rural Wales, which inspired much of my writing. Although most of my writing tends to be futuristic, the worlds I create are usually untainted by crowded cities and technology, embracing the beauty and wildness of nature. My characters often have to fight the elements and the terrain itself. I like to torture them a bit, but however difficult the journey, love will always win in the end. My first novel, Starquest, a futuristic romance released by the Wild Rose Press was followed by a sequel 'Children Of The Mist'. A third novel, 'Beloved Enemy', released on 11th March 2016 continues what has now become a series known as 'The Destiny Trilogy'. Although some of the characters appear in the other books, each story is complete and can be read as a ‘stand alone’. I am a member of The Romantic Novelists' Association and Chiltern Writers, my local writing group.

Let’s talk about writing and books.  

How do you research an element for a story? 
 Oh Google! I do a certain amount of research from books, but -- thank goodness for Google! However one has to be a bit careful and double check technical details sometimes, but on the whole it is brilliant for research and makes it so much quicker. I don’t write ‘hard core’ science fiction, and I believe there’s a ‘fantasy’ feel to my stories, but I still like to make sure the scientific and astronomical details are as accurate as possible, and theoretically feasible in the future. Although things like Faster Than Light Travel are generally believed to be impossible, even in the future, most Science Fiction writers use some form of FTL, and it’s widely accepted, otherwise to travel to distant planets out of our solar system, the characters would need to spend many years in cryogenic suspension, and for me, life on board the starship, reroute to another planet, is an important part of the story. I try not to get to technical, but I do research things like interstellar drives etc. Some things I invent, and hope they sound viable. I also take note of the words of the renowned Isaac Asimov, who said ‘Say what it does, not how it does it.’ Great advice! I also research things like what geological and weather conditions might be like on other planets, and in the second of the stories in my ‘Destiny Trilogy’, ‘Children Of The Mist’ I did a lot of research into Norse mythology, as the basis of my cold and misty Earth Colony, Niflheim.

What do you like to do after finishing a manuscript to reward yourself? 
 The first thing I do is eat some chocolate – then I usually take a break from writing by spending more time in the fresh air with my animals, or reading, or even both!

What can we expect from you next? Are you working on anything new? 
I love writing Romantic Science Fiction, but now I’ve finished my SF trilogy, I’m trying something new and working on a romantic ghost story set in my native Wales. They’re friendly ghosts, so it’s not at all scary, and I’m able to incorporate some of the places I know well. It’s set partly on a Welsh Pony stud, so I’m able to write about horses , one of my favourite subects.

Now, let’s get personal! 

What is one thing people might be surprised to know about you?
I used to do long distance riding in Wales, and once the route took us down a mountainside and straight cross the Graig Goch (Red Dragon) dam. It was an amazing experience.

What is one obsession you possess? 
I suppose you could say my horses. That’s two isn’t it :)  I’ve always been mad on horses, and it took me five years to save up for my first horse when I left school and started work. Both my horses are more or less retired now, and we’re none of us getting any younger, but they’re a huge part of my life and even though nearly every penny I have goes on feeding and caring for them, and although I have to make a lot of sacrifices to keep them fed and in good health, I can’t imagine being without them. They’re as much part of my family and my dog.

What are your hobbies away from the computer? 
When I’m not writing, I can usually be found enjoying the outdoors with the horses and my little ‘rescue’ terrier. I love going for long walks with him, I also do a bit of sketching, horses mainly. I used to enjoy oil painting but sadly I don’t have time now, and like to concentrate on my writing I also enjoy reading on my overloaded Kindle, and, of course, eating chocolate!

Are you an animal person? If so, what do you have? 
Definitely an animal person. I love all creatures, great and small. I even love mice! My pet family consists my dog, Choccy, my two horses, Harri and T’pau, and Dusty, a ‘feral’ stable cat.

Your Favourites. 

Favourite Colour: Purple
Favourite Season: Autumn
Favourite Movie: The Return Of The King from Lord Of The Rings
Favourite Actor: Richard Armitage
Favourite Song: I Will Always Love You by Dolly Parton (She sings it so plaintively)
Favourite Pleasure Food: Chicken and fries
Favourite Place to Read: In the garden
Favourite article of clothing: A Western shirt
Favourite candy your sweet-tooth craves: Chocolate

Describe yourself in three words.
Romantic, loyal, sensitive.

Thank you for visiting, Hywela! It’s been great getting to know you. Please stop by the cottage again soon! 
Thank you so much for having me here today, it’s been a real pleasure and l’ve loved talking to you.

Where can we keep in touch with you?
Hywelalyn@hywelalyn.co.uk

Here's a peek at Hywela's book,
Beloved Enemy.
Cat Kincaid is obsessed with killing the man she believes is responsible for the to rture and death of her sister, but when she eventually catches up with him, survival becomes a greater priority than revenge. 

Kerry Marchant, haunted by memories, regret, and self-blame, shields himself from the pain of the past by committing himself totally to the starship, Destiny, of which he is part owner. However, the beautiful, red-haired woman who reminds him of his lost love, and who he suspects is working for a corrupt regime, represents a possible threat not only to the ship, but to his heart. 

Marooned on an inhospitable planet, they need to work together to stay alive, fighting not only unknown assailants, but their growing attraction. But how can they learn to trust each other when he has vowed never to get close to a woman again, and she made a solemn pledge to destroy him?


GIVEAWAY!
Hywela is giving away a copy of one of either Starquest or Children Of The Mist. Leave a comment to be entered in the draw! 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Darlene, thanks so much for hosting me on your blog today - I really enjoyed being interviewed by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to have you here today, Lyn. An obsession with horses sounds like a good obsession to me, lol! Wishing you much success with Beloved Enemy.

      Delete
  2. Glad to here there is another Romantic SciFi/fantasy author among us! Also love LOTR esp. the Return. Good luck on your new adventure in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gini - nice to meet you too!

    Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting - yes the Return is my favourite LOTR as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyn, so nice to see you here and learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caroline - thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful interview, ladies! I adore horses, Lyn,and enjoyed reading about yours. It's always been a dream of mine to own one, but sadly, I live in a place where I don't have room. However, I'm content to go out to nearby stables and ride. They're such gentle, majestic animals. Thanks for sharing! All the best with your new story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved learning more about you. Great interview.
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete