Tuesday, January 14, 2020

2019 Wrap-Up

I'm a little late posting my 2019 wrap-up post, but at the beginning of the year, my to-do list was beyond a list. There were so many items I wanted to do (and kept forgetting to do) that I had to start writing everything down. I first listed everything in my outlook mail calendar, but as efficient as that may seem, when you want to check an item or add a new one, you have to have your computer on. So, I pulled out my new 2020 calendar that my daughter bought me as well as a booklet of sticky notes and jotted down everything I had to do and wanted to do. Needless to say, the month of January is filled with many coloured notes. However, I am happy to say, over half of those notes have been removed...though I am adding one or two each day, lol.

With this day being my birthday, I look back on 2019, which was a good year, yet it had many bumps along its road.

My daughter graduated with honors from college as a pastry chef. She was hired full time by the same bakery where she completed her work term and is doing very well there. She also bought a car. I am so proud of her and what she has accomplished. One of the perks of having a pastry chef for a daughter is all of the goodies she brings home #delicious. I have to sample these treats in moderation, lol.

Another bonus to 2019 is the return of my waist line. Menopause was definitely getting the best of me. I was lucky to not get the hot flashes most women complain about, but I did get the weight gain. It didn't matter what I did to lose the weight, it kept winning. And though the weight gain wasn't extreme, the added pounds created such an inner struggle within myself as I wasn't happy with the way I looked. However, I am thrilled to say that I have lost thirteen pounds, which brings me back to a normal weight. I'd like to lose another four pounds, but I am happy with where I am. I feel so much better about myself and what I have achieved. I highly recommend a fit tracker watch with an app that allows you to track your eating and exercise. With me, it's all about calories, so I don't go over the amount set for my age and height. I think menopause has finally left me or is on its way out. Good-riddens is what I say.

As I was preparing to submit a new manuscript to one of my publishers, out of the blue, I received an email from them offering my rights back to three of my books with them. They didn't come right out and say it, but I know it was because my books didn't make enough money. If your books are not a top selling author with the big publishing houses, I guess you aren't worth their time. It sure felt like a slap in the face. They even had the nerve to welcome me to submit to them in the future. Now, why would I do that?! I don't think so. I took them up on their offer and received the rights back to my three books. I wasn't sure what to do then. Should I submit to another publisher, send them to the publisher who has my other three books, or self publish? I just knew I didn't want them collecting dust on a shelf. So, after talking to a few author friends and receiving encouragement, I decided to take on indie publishing. My first book was released on Amazon at the end of November. It took a lot of learning, but I must admit, I enjoyed the process, and I like having full control. I am currently polishing the other two books for indie as well. In the end, I took the rejection as a positive for me and my books.

My family suffered a terrible loss in July. Our beloved Yellow Lab, Jagger, lost a battle to cancer. It was too sudden and we were not prepared to say goodbye...though you are never ready to say goodbye to a loved one. Making the right decision it not always the easiest decision. He was my baby boy and my constant shadow. I can't even type this post without feeling the loss. A piece of my heart is gone. I miss him more than anything...each and every day. The only light that gets me through is Jagger's great nephew, Keefer. We got Keefer a year and a half ago and he's been my saving grace. Seeing Keefer look around the house for Jagger broke my heart. We are healing together with some days better than others.

After loosing Jagger, my family needed to get away. We spent a long weekend at a cottage in the Valley. The peace and tranquility was well over do. There's nothing better than lounging on the deck, barbecues, and swimming in the lake. We soon learned that Keefer loves to swim. He didn't want to get out of the water. Our getaway was therapeutic especially for my husband who had been under a lot of stress from work. We learned that the owner of the cottage is thinking of selling. If we could afford it, we'd make it ours. Fingers crossed one of the lottery tickets we buy will make that dream come true.

My family suffered another loss at the end of August when my mother lost her battle from a few years of declining health. It is awful to watch a loved one suffer for so long and you miss them when their gone, but the one thing that gets you through is knowing they are no longer in pain. And I know my father was waiting for her. They are together once again.

I am ready for brighter days and a prosperous year. I want to return my focus to my writing. I took a break and thought about stopping, but I keep thinking of new stories. Once a writer always a writer is what I like to say. I have stories that want to be written so I am going to follow the demands of my characters. I have big plans for Redford Falls, which means several more indie books.

My birthday wish for 2020 is the continued health and happiness of my family, who mean more to me than anything. Their love and support is my everything.

I also want to wish my friends all the best in 2020. May you follow the path to your dreams, whatever they may be.

1 comment: