Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Summer Wrap Up

Summer isn't officially over, but it sure is wrapping up fast. The nights are getting cooler and the rainy season is quickly approaching. The lawns are dry, so they could use a little rain, but I know once that dampness sets in, there's no turning back.

This summer definitely had it's high and lows. One of the most tragic happenings was the loss of my beloved dog. Jagger our yellow lab (named after Mick Jagger from The Rolling Stones) had recently turned twelve. Last fall he had a difficult time with his legs on right side. The vet thought it may have been a mild stroke or a spinal issue. He was put on bed rest for several weeks and healed well. Early summer, he lost a lot of weight and then the middle of July he had issues walking again to the point where all four legs were weak. Then his breathing got laboured and just to stand was difficult. The vet confirmed he had cancer. People say we made the right decision, and I know it was, but it doesn't make it any easier. There's not a day that goes by when I don't think of him. He was my yellow shadow and loosing him broke my heart. Thankfully, we have Keefer, our one and a half year old yellow lab (named after Keith Richards) who keeps me busy. I miss Jagger so much, but I know he is free of pain and playing with our German shepherd, Luger.

On the writing side of things...I completed the third book in my Redford Falls series, but I hadn't sent it to my Escape publisher due to the position of managing editor yet to be replaced. Then in the middle of June, I received an email from the publishing director offering my rights back to my three titles with them. I was a bit shocked, but a writer friend explained that with the bigger houses they expect their books to make lots of sales. I guess if your book isn't making a certain quota then they don't want you. I felt slighted by this email even though they offered to discuss further submissions. Needless to say, I accepted my rights back and will not be submitting to them again. So what to do with my books? Let them sit on a shelf to collect dust? Try another publisher? A couple of writing friends suggested self publishing and that seemed to be a good idea. So, I am working on designing new covers and giving my three books new titles. The third book (which was a stand alone title) will be reworked to make it part of my Redford Falls series and the manuscript I finished and was waiting to submit, will be the fourth in the series. I am looking forward to this venture and having control over my books.

I also started working with authors as a social media consultant. Check out my page with the details here.
https://findingthewritewords.blogspot.com/p/promo-services.html
And I recently received an awesome testimonial that made my day. If you're an author and need some help with marketing, be sure to contact me.

On a last note, at the beginning of August my family went away for a few days and rented a cottage. We actually stayed at the same spot we visited in 2016. This was a getaway that was therapeutic for the whole family. With the loss of our fur baby, my husband's stress at work, and my daughter starting a full time job, we needed this trip and it was so much fun. The weather was beautiful. We spent the afternoons on the deck by the lake (top photo) and the evenings lounging on the cottage deck. Three days of complete relaxation and enjoyment.

So September is almost here, but this year things are a bit different with my daughter not returning to school. She graduated from college with honours as a pastry chef in June and was hired by the bakery where she completed her work term. She's an awesome baker and we are lucky that she brings home some of the treats she bakes! But this September comes with sadness because my baby girl is all grown up, yet I'm happy and proud of the woman she has become.

Time flies and all those highs and lows become new ones with the rapid change of the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment