Friday, September 11, 2026

What Am I Missing?


I posted the above graphic on Instagram yesterday with the following text:
Hey Canadian Authors! Let's follow each other to connect and grow side by side. Comment where you're writing from. Tag a Canadian author friend who deserves a little spotlight. Let's make CanLit world feel a little cozier together. (And included a bunch of hashtags.)

This was my social media attempt to connect with Canadian authors/writers. Since posting that graphic, I received one new follower. And that one follower wasn't an author. It was a man who I'm assuming is looking to 'connect'. Well, that's NOT the connection I'm looking for. My bio on Instagram states 'Wife' therefore one should assume that I'm not single and looking to mingle. Needless to say, I did not follow him back.

I didn't post that graphic to increase my number of followers, however that would be nice. My goal was to connect with other writers from my country. I've seen other authors do this and it's worked for them. They had many people comment on their post. But mine...crickets. 

I sometimes wonder what I'm missing. What am I doing wrong? What's the secret to social media engagement? Would making a video of myself writing or talking about my books create interest? Is that the answer? Because if it is, then I give up right now. I'm not making videos of myself...first, because I'm a private person...and second, I don't have time to record, edit, and upload videos everyday.

I'll leave that post up on Instagram for a few days, but if it doesn't receive any engagement, then I'll delete it. I don't have the social media magic potion. And you know what? That's okay. I don't want to be an influencer. I'm a writer who just wants to write books, and have readers enjoy them. Maybe, someday...when one of my books makes it really big on all the best sellers lists...the engagement will come looking for me, instead of me looking for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment